Today I decided to tackle two tasks: Making more laundry soap and making pickles. Both tasks were inspired by Mother Necessity. We were out of laundry soap and needed clean clothes, and the cukes in the garden were ready to be picked!
This is the second time I’ve made this powdered laundry soap mixture. I use the recipe on the Duggar’s website. I had leftover Borax and Washing Soda from when I made it the last time, and 4 bars of Ivory Soap that Jeremy bought to make more laundry detergent. After shredding the 4 bars, I discovered I did not have enough Washing Soda for 4 batches of detergent. So I sent Jeremy to the store to get more, and he also bought 4 more bars of soap. Happily, this used up all the Washing Soda and made 8 batches of detergent. This should hopefully last us a long time! I wasn’t sure how well it was removing stains, so I might try using extra borax if the clothes are especially dirty.
After this I started slicing the cukes for pickles. I discovered I like the pickles slices round instead of spears, so I bought a mandoline slicer to make this process easier. I love it! ($15 at Target!)
I didn’t get to actually pickle the cukes tonight since we discovered we don’t have garlic. So that will have to wait until tomorrow. For now, the cukes are sitting in ice water and getting very crispy. Let me say folks, that REALLY WORKS! The cukes I sliced last night were in ice water overnight and wow are they crispy today. I just hope they stay that way until I can get them pickled.
For supper tonight we ate green beans from our garden, picked yesterday. (Spaghetti and green beans cooked courtesy of Jeremy Groff – thanks hunny!) Wow, fresh really is best! There’s nothing like fresh veggies right out of your backyard. Gardening is hard work but so fun and such rewards reaped – literally!
Jeremy commented on my activities today of homemade laundry soap and pickling cucumbers from our garden, trying to say I was being very domestic and natural.
“Just call me Ma,” I replied.
No comments:
Post a Comment